The area south of the Boyne River was originally known as Wild Cattle and had been a popular fishing and picnic location for the people of Boyne Island, but remained unsettled due to its inaccessibility. Closer settlement began in the late 1930's when 12 beach front lots were auctioned. The Town received its name when a group of children returned from a Sunday School picnic to the beach quite sunburnt. The comment was made "we can really tan 'um over there." One of the people present worked for the Queensland Land Department thought it would be a good name for the area and registered the name. Closer settlement began in the late 1930's when 12 beach front lots were auctioned.